- This event has passed.
Logophilia Wordsmithery Workshop Winter 2018
January 7, 2019 @ 8:00 am - January 17, 2019 @ 5:00 pm
The Fundamental Etymology Workshop (FEW) is Logophilia’s flagship workshop. FEW brings together a rich and diverse thematic arrangement of Latin and Greek roots in English.
We educate students on the etymological roots of words in English, categorised under :
(1) The Natural Sciences
(2) The Social Sciences
(3) Language & Literature
- Methodology : Seminars
- Duration: 10 Days (20 hours)
- Advantage : Students gain a vital insight into basic vocabularies of various disciplines.
- This provides an essential sophistication to their learning styles,
and Etymology Education rapidly replaces rote memorisation.
Words are not made by linguists. Words were made by people. The Logophilia Wordsmithery programme helps students understand the process of word formation in English. These students gain a high degree of ‘dictionary independence’ and get into the habit of making words, or “Wordsmithery”.
Logophilia Wordsmithery is an Etymology-based English Vocabulary Workshop. Students are trained in the processes of word-formation in English. Word affixes are powerful carriers of words: affixes are often involved in the formation of several thousand words.
Once a student learns an affix:
- a gateway opens up to all words that are derived from them;
- he gets a rich understanding the part-of-speech and function of the word
- an intuitive word-deciphering ability develops
Duration: 26th Dec, 2017 – 5th Jan, 2018